Other pieces of softball gear include:
- Batting Helmet – This is the most important piece of safety equipment in softball. Softball helmets are designed to protect batters head from any kind of ball hits by distributing the force of the ball. It is constructed of rigid durable plastic and foam. Softball helmets include optional wire face guards and pony tail channels for female athletes.
- Sliding Shorts and Sliders – Most female players wear sliding shorts. They are padded shorts designed to protect the athlete when sliding into a base. Sliders protect the shin and calf from injury when sliding and look much like shin guards.
- Catcher’s Gear – Softball catchers must wear helmets with face guards and throat protectors, chest protectors and shin guards that reach up above the knees. Softball is very heavy and can cause serious injuries if the catcher is not properly protected.
Why is Choosing the Right Equipment Important?
Most teams provide their players with the equipment they need, but they can also choose to buy their own equipment. Buying your own softball gear has many advantages, but the choice might be hard because the selection is huge and the prices vary greatly. The important thing is to resist temptation to buy the cheapest equipment. That doesn’t mean that you should go bankrupt, but be aware that a certain quality comes with a certain price. If your budget is currently limited, it is better to wait and save up a bit more for the high-quality items.
But why is it so important that you choose the right softball equipment? Here are the top reasons:
- Adjusting to your new gear will be easier. Equipment specialized for fastpitch softball tend to be more expensive, but there is a reason for it. Specialized gear is designed to fit the player, and the game requirements, as close as possible. In the ideal world every player would have their own personalized gear, but choosing the right softball equipment in stores is the next best thing.
- Quality equipment is built to last longer. And you can find some of the high quality products at a reasonable price, however, this is more of the exception than a rule. You should consider buying softball equipment an investment that will help you improve your game performance. You wouldn’t skimp on your game, so don’t do it on your equipment either.
- The right gear will prevent unnecessary injuries. For example, by choosing the bat that is the right weight for you, you will avoid a shoulder injury. Or by choosing the softball cleats that fit you properly, you will keep your ankle from injuring. Softball gear should help you enhance your performance and it absolutely must not cause you any pain or discomfort.
Fastpitch softball is a really fast game, which is why the bat must be fast and powerful. Fastpitch bats can be constructed as a one-piece or a two-piece. A one-piece bat is stronger and stiffer, it is made for power hitters who swing with more speed and force. A two-piece bat is designed out of two pieces: handle and barrel. This gives barrel ability to flex more easily and provides a pop effect . The two-piece fastpitch softball bat can compensate for the lack of speed in your swing and can maximize your hitting skills. Depending on the material they are made with bats can be wooden, aluminum (or alloy), composite and hybrid.
The main types of gloves you can find in the sporting goods store are baseball and softball gloves. Whether you’re playing slow pitch or fast pitch softball, you shouldn’t be wearing a glove designed for baseball. A softball is much larger that a baseball so baseball gloves have pockets that are too small for a softball. Also you should be aware that a position you are playing determines the type of glove you should buy. There is a difference between catcher’s mitt and a first baseman glove, infielder glove and the one for the outfielder, and of course there are the batting gloves too. Softball gloves can also be made from different materials, which determines their quality (and price).
Softball Cleats are very important, they are what connects you to the ground. They come in many different styles and colors, so the choice might seem overwhelming. If you are uncertain about which softball cleat you should choose, you may start with going through the brands that A-level players are using. If you already have a favorite brand of regular athletic shoes, there is a great chance that they make cleats as well, like Nike, Adidas or New Balance. Other good brands of softball cleats are Mizuno, Ringor and Under Armour. Another important decision that each player must make is whether to use metal or plastic spikes. Just make sure to check the rules of your league.
2017 Best Fastpitch Softball Bats, Gloves and Cleats
One thing that doesn’t lack when it comes to choosing a bat, or a glove or a pair of cleats is the number of opinions you will encounter on the internet. There are thousands of reviews written by players and formal players, parents and coaches, and there is no general agreement on what is the best. We try to provide as much information as we can, to help you make the best decision. We hope to help you find the best fastpitch softball bat, best fastpitch softball gloves and the best softball cleats.